Monday, December 26, 2011

Here We Go

I know what you're probably thinking. "Oh great, another blog from a bored housewife who thinks shes the best cook and is going to teach me a few things." Well, you're right, a little.

Let me clear things up for you. I am bored; I think I'm a damn good cook; and I probably could teach you a few things. Then again, you could certainly teach me a few things too. This isn't about me trying to get famous (although, come on, that'd be pretty cool) or trying to get a book published, or even curing my boredom (I'm a Kindergarten teacher, so I do have PLENTY of things to do). This is about a girl who misses the meals from her childhood and wants to preserve the recipes for herself and her family.

Yesterday, my aunt and I spent HOURS in the kitchen trying to make one of our favorite recipes from my grandmas arsenal for Christmas dinner. Afterwards, impressed, my husband (Kevin) came up with the idea of collecting all of her recipes, typing them up, and making a book that I could then give to my family as Christmas presents next year (way to think ahead, babe!). I loved this idea, but realized this would take a TON of work. After all, as many of you know, recipes from grandmothers can be hard to decipher. Forget about the handwriting which is an issue all in itself, but just how much is a 'pinch' or a 'dash'? How about a 'few shakes'. I know recipes don't have to be precise but this is what I need to figure out for myself and my Christmas present.

So, if you'd like to follow my blog and see my attempts at recreating my childhood Sunday dinners, be my guest.

Note: All of the recipes I will be posting on this blog come out of my grandmothers recipe collection. Where they came from before then, I have no clue. I do not intend to plagiarize any published recipes, I just want to cook like my grandma.

No comments:

Post a Comment