Tuesday, December 27, 2011

The Beginning Stages

I have a lot of things I need to do before I think I can attempt all these recipes. Kind of like how anal I am about the dishwasher being unloaded before I cook dinner, I feel that I have to be 'ready' to blog.

So far, I am not.

I found my camera but not the cord, so I can't charge my camera or upload any pictures. I have looked all over my house for it too. I can't find it anywhere! I even went to three different stores looking for one with no luck.

As far as my kitchen goes...I'm mostly good. I have pretty good knives and I just bought a new set of those flexible cutting boards. My pots and pans (even though they're stainless and I prefer non-stick) are only a year old, so I'm good there. After TWO trips to the Vera Bradley store half an hour away, I finally purchased a cute apron; though not the one I was looking for. How about a double oven? Hmm.....there's no way I'll be able to talk Kevin into that, even if I whine that it's for my blog, so I guess I can keep dreaming about that one. But I do plan on getting one of squishy non-slip mats to stand on, an OXO can opener, and a bigger food processor. Because even though I want to make my grandma's old recipes, I want new toys.

The main thing that I'm sure will take the most time is getting the actual recipes. I don't live near my grandmother. She lives in Youngstown, Ohio and I live in Phoenix, Arizona so, I can't just take a quick drive and raid her recipe box. I am counting on my mom and uncle to gather, scan, and email the recipes to me. I do not foresee this being as easy as it sounds. My mom is about as technologically savvy as my cat and my uncle lives a good 45 minutes away from my grandparents. So I will just sit and wait.

I also am not sure how often I want to do this. A friend of mine who blogs about her experiences as a SAHM - Stay at Home Mom - blogs daily (http://germanvillagemom.blogspot.com/). I'm not sure I can do that! Who knows, maybe after a day of 28 whining five year olds, I may find the cooking and blogging to be somewhat therapeutic. On the other hand I may find it stressful, which is the last thing I need after a day in Kindergarten. I could end up just doing this on the weekend. I know there are no set rules, but I know my goal is to have this done in time to make recipe books as presents for Christmas 2012. So, how long will that take? I don't even know how many recipes there are and which ones I want to try (I will pass on her recipe for pigs feet in gelatin - even if it was my favorite before I was old enough to realize what it was).

I guess I'll just go with the flow.
Hopefully the flow leads me to my camera cord.

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha! I can only blog daily because I have 26 less whining kids to deal with ha ha! ;)

    The pineapple cake looks delish- I will need to try that soon!!

    ReplyDelete